archives & links below

My photo
A person who needs no introduction.

Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Things You Learn on the Trail

[1] Turning right instead of left can get you an entire extra hour of walking. I did that yesterday, and wound up going all over the place, and to the other side of the Erie Canal for the first time. The converse is true too--any new turn can tempt you to further feats of foot, and any chance straying up a short dead-end street can be a ticket to new sights, sounds, and smells. Even flavors, if you're 100% pos that the area hasn't been sprayed.



Who knew there'd be a beached inflatable unicorn in this yard? I certainly didn't.

[2] Hydration isn't just for drinking. I've started carrying a flat plastic water bottle that Sarah received after some soccer tournament in Webster. The annoyance of adding it to my swollen arsenal (umbrella and camera in back pockets, phone and utility bag in shirt pocket, etc) is outweighed by the luxury of saying "Aha! Methinks I'll sip some of the old aqua pura right now!" and doing it. I've switched from my headphones to ear buds for the lighter and less sweaty rewards, and this lets me wear my Carolina hat instead of my billed cap, which in turn shades my neck. I can also take it off and put it back on more easily, and (most important) I can use it as a swamp cooler by drenching the crown. Of course, this dries out before you know it, and I didn't want to use my drinking water, and I was reluctant to dip it in one of the nice water bowls local citizens put out for passing puppies, or even to use a puddle. I held out for the drinking fountains at Schoen Place, which of course turned out to be out of service, possibly because of some deadly plague that's going around. The canal was sort of convenient, but not that convenient, and who knows what those ducks do in it? (Spoiler: I know.) I eventually remoistened it by taking advantage of the copious dew on the grass, dragging it along for a few yards, looking like a bird feigning a broken wing, until the crown was sufficiently moist.



Another insufficiently inviting opportunity to moisten the hat. Great for looking, dodgy for personal use.

[3] Today's mishap is tomorrow's knowledge. Yesterday, I found that by taking the one-lane bridge over the canal at Mitchell, I could not only see the really neat canalside buildings that I'm thinking were maybe stables for mules or something, but I could walk a little farther and catch the other portion of the Auburn trail, which dead-ends in the clear-cut valley of the giant walking pylons. Yesterday I took that over to State Street and proceeded to Schoen Place, where not enough people are wearing their germ straps, and then took Main Street most of the way home. Today, I reversed that and picked up the valley from State Street, and thought I'd be clever and take it all the way to Jefferson. Imagine my surprise when I saw that the Erie Canal is still there, and the wires just go over it, which is an option I don't have. Nonetheless, I now know that I could have taken that trail from Schoen Place all the way to the valley and then caught the Auburn to Mitchell to Jefferson to Knickerbocker to home.



The pylons are friendly, but they might lead you to the very brink of the canal. Beware! Be very ware!


[4] Slower is often better. If your goal is to see things and take pictures, being on foot gives you opportunities. Things I never could catch out of the car window become easily available. Yesterday, I walked all around a couple of ruined buildings by the canal that I'd never been able to photograph, and snapped away until they became boring (about twelve minutes). I can't believe nobody has bought them to replace with McMansions in that spot, overlooking the canal and with a view of the aforementioned former stables. I've also taken surreptitious snaps of homes that have always interested me. Click! Take it home and study it at length.

It's a bit of a fixer-upper. Just replace the roof and the parts under it.


[5] Five things is about enough. I might do a more narrative version of my walks some time, depending upon how much frenzy I can whip up here. Oh, look! It's possible to comment on this blog. Who knew? I've about stopped using Google Earth to figure out new routes, though I can guess close enough. Basically, I figure about three miles in an hour and then count the hours. Yesterday two and three-quarters. Today, just over two, and that includes the backtracking part. No regrets. I've found blackberries every day, and one day I was next to a hedge to fragrant (honeysuckle, maybe) that I sort of wanted to hug it. I've seen dozens of painted rocks people have left by trails and sidewalks to cheer the weary traveler, and I've improved my ability to just keep walking (left foot, etc.) for as long as it takes. I have lots of photos I haven't used yet.

Watch this space.


.

No comments: